What should you know about current share market volatility?
Luke Smith joined 2CC Talking Canberra 1206AM.
The Money Show aired on Friday 6 March 2020.
Stock market volatility continues to be front and centre of finance news but Australia has enjoyed many years of economic growth. This probably makes the current share market volatility seem more pronounced as we’re simply not used to it. In this episode Financial Planner Luke Smith and Leon from 2CC take a closer look at the personal finance issues surrounding movements and the importance of keeping perspective. Certainly the media like talking about losses, but in the current environment we’ve seen both down days and up days. What are the things smart investors need to be aware of at times like this?
Key highlights include:
- Long-term investors beware: If you jump out of shares right now what are you jumping into? Cash rates are at record lows
- Did you know that share dividends are a function of profit and do not directly correlate with the share price?
- What business sectors are likely to be affected by covid-19?
- Remember your ‘Why’, what are your goals and timeframe for investing?
- Beware if sensationalist media reporting, percentage losses provide more useful information than total market rises or falls.
- Do the down days on the stock market present buying opportunities?
- What is short selling?
- What are the mistakes people make during times of market volatility?
- Above all, don’t panic.
- There’s also an offer to meet with Luke at Envision Financial to talk about managing your own situation.
Listen to the Podcast right now
Also available on Apple Podcasts ‘The Strategy Stacker – Luke Talks Money’
Would you like to talk about managing share market volatility with your own investments?
Make an appointment to catch up with Luke at his office over a cup of tea or coffee.
Envision 2CC offer: Your first appointment is at our cost. Make an appointment to confidentially discuss your financial concerns, options and plans. Call Envision Financial Services on 6260 4749. You can also use our contact us form to make an appointment for a confidential discussion about your situation.
Luke will return to talk about financial planning on 2CC Talking Canberra next Friday from 4.30pm. Tune into listen live or visit our website again to catch up on the podcast. You can also check out our YouTube Channel at Envision Financial Canberra.