Super Splitting, can it work for you?
Financial Planner Luke Smith joined 2CC Talking Canberra 1206AM in The Money Show which aired on Friday 9 July 2021. Luke returns to the studio this week following the changing covid rules in the ACT. Our thoughts are with listeners up in Sydney who have more strict covid restrictions right now. This week’s topic: Super Splitting.
Key highlights include:
- Did you know you can split some of your super contributions?
- This financial planning strategy won’t be for everyone, but it can be very effective in some cases
- It applies to the 10% super contribution from your employer or 15.4% if you’re a government employee or contributions or contributions where a tax deduction has been claimed
- There’s also a cap on how much you can put into super yourself without paying more tax, the amount this year is $27,500
- When can you do super splitting?
- Why would you super split to an older partner?
- How much can you split with your significant other?
- This is also an opportunity if you’re approaching your transfer balance cap – splitting your super to the partner with the lower super balance
- Super splitting doesn’t apply to all contribution types – Luke explains this in detail
- How do you go about super splitting practically?
- Super splitting might also be great for paying of your house if you have a mortgage and have a partner approaching retirement
- Luke shares his top tips for making the most of the super splitting strategy
- Everyone has different goals and financial planning advice can help you achieve them more effectively, especially when you link different strategies.
Listen to the Podcast right now
Also available on Apple Podcasts and Spotify ‘The Strategy Stacker – Luke Talks Money’
Do you need advice around super splitting?
Luke as a Financial Planner can help you set up a financial planning strategy to help you achieve your personal financial goals. The legislation and strategy can be complicated but the good news is you can make an appointment to speak with Luke about your specific situation, goals and options.
Make an appointment to confidentially discuss super, investment, insurance or retirement. Call Envision Financial Services on 6260 4749. You can also use our contact us form to make an appointment for a confidential discussion about your situation.
Luke will return to talk about financial planning on 2CC next Friday. You can also catch up with The Strategy Stacker – Luke Talks Money podcast. We look forward to your company again.