Ask the Expert Kellin Kristofferson – Issues to consider when setting up your Power of Attorney
Financial Planner Luke Smith joined 2CC Talking Canberra 1206AM in The Money Show which aired on Friday 10 December 2021. Luke is joined by Kellin Kristofferson this week in the studio with Leon at 2CC. Kellin is a Solicitor at ‘Artisan Legal’ in Canberra, ACT. This week’s topic: Do you need a Power of Attorney? Just because your married, it doesn’t give your spouse legal authority to act on your behalf.
Key topics covered include:
- What is a Power of Attorney?
- What is an Enduring Power of Attorney and how is it different from a General Power of Attorney?
- Every state and territory has their own names and they’re not all the same.
- In simple terms it provides the ability to act on someone else’s behalf – being married alone doesn’t give you that right automatically.
- Who can act for you?
- Why wording matters of documents matters.
- What’s the difference between a Power of Attorney and an Executor?
- What are some of the key considerations when setting up one?
- If you don’t have one, but need one, what happens?
- What happens if we have documents in one state and property in another?
- Does the Power of Attorney have limits?
Listen to the Podcast right now
Also available on Apple Podcasts and Spotify ‘The Strategy Stacker – Luke Talks Money’
Do you need advice around setting up your Power of Attorney (POA)?
Luke is happy to refer to you to Kellin Kristofferson at Artisan Legal in Canberra for POA, Will and Estate Planning Advice. Visit www.artisanlegal.com.au or call Kellin on 02 6183 5140.
Luke as a Financial Planner can help you set up a financial planning strategy to help you achieve your personal financial goals. Make an appointment to confidentially discuss investment, super, retirement and insurance. Call Envision Financial Services on 6260 4749. You can also use our contact us form to make an appointment for a confidential discussion about your situation.
Luke will return to talk about financial planning on 2CC next Friday. You can also catch up with The Strategy Stacker – Luke Talks Money podcast. We look forward to your company again.